Middelburg Tourist Attractions History
Middelburg Tourist Attractions History

Middelburg Tourist Attractions History

  • The pumping station was erected in about 1904 by the British troops that were stationed at Grootfontein. Its site is the marshland from which the actual “Groote Fontein” springs.
    Phone: 049 802 6600
  • The wall honors the memory of all who fell during the Two World wars and the Bush war in Namibia. The names are engraved on bronze plaques and fixed to the wall.
    Phone: 049 842 2188
  • Chair Monument
    This monument at Ouberg Hill, just outside Middelburg on the Richmond road, marks the spot where two commandants, Lötter and Wolfaardt were executed, during the Anglo Boer War, in 1901.
    Phone: 049 842 2188
  • Karel Theron Primary School
    The school, built in 1908, once was the biggest school in the Cape Province. It was named after Mr Kalie Theron who saw his school grow from a two-teacher primary school to a high school. For 35 years he was the principal.
    Phone: 049 842 1462
  • The house where the warden of the first prison stayed, is situated in Meintjies Street, the main street of town. A few years ago it housed the Local Tourism Information Office.
    Phone: 049 842 2188
  • The St Barnabas Church, a historical building is still in use for weekly sermons. It is build with stone, and the original bell can still be viewed in the garden.
    Phone: N/A
  • This rock is the oldest landmark of the occupation by the first European inhabitants. This inscription reads: “Anno 170 ik ben die plaas heft aangeleyght A.G.S.B. uyt Denemark sprenghane als sant.” Andries Godliep Schoombee fled from...
    Phone: 049 842 1824
  • Rock art and fossils can be seen at some farm accommodation establishments in the area.
    Phone: N/A
  • Town Graveyards
    Two, the old and new graveyards. Old: van Reenen Street New: Turn down in Church Street, follow the road around the old railway station building, and you’ll find it on your left hand side.
    Phone: 049 842 2188
  • This graceful obelisk was erected in 1929 to honour the memory of 19 Burghers who fell during the Anglo Boer War. Can be seen in the Mayor’s Garden. Mayor’s Garden, Meintjies Street.
    Phone: 049 842 2188
  • The Sneeuberg range to the south of Middelburg, were a haven for the San where they hunted and gathered plants, bulbs and fruit for food much as prehistoric man did. During winter months, snow can be seen on the mountains, and the Lootsberg Pass...
    Phone: N/A
  • Queen Victoria gave this gift to the town in 1887 when she had reigned for 50 years. The Victoria- and Jubilee Streets have been named then. The water pump can be seen in the Mayor’s Garden.
    Phone: 049 842 2188
  • Middelburg 3 Memorial
    Erected in memory of three Middelburg rebels who died during their rebellion against the re-location to a new township and housing scheme.
    Phone: 049 842 2188
  • The Middelburg Museum was once the building were the Poor School was housed.
    Phone: 049 802 1330
  • It was built as a home for Lord French, by Lord Kitchener’s Master builder during the 1899 – 1902 Anglo Boer War. When the war was drawing towards its end, many local residents felt that the ex-volunteers should be welcomed back home and...
    Phone: N/A
  • The market square was encircled by Murray-, Market-, Van Reenen- and Loop Streets. On the Outspan, originated the Dutch Reformed Church, Gereformeerde Kerk, Methodist Church and the Town Hall. Today, part of it is known as the Mayor’s...
    Phone: 049 842 1104
  • Mr. & Mrs. Joubert lived in their small house opposite Dagbreek Hostel, next to Middelburg High School. They were already pensioners, and never had any children. They raised a Persie-lamb as if it was their child.
    Phone: N/A
  • Haystead & Ford Building
    In Market Street, this building dates back to the early days of the century. This is one of the few buildings left from the old Middelburg, which was declared a national monument. - Market Street -
    Phone: 049 842 1824
  • Graveyard of Farm Driefontein
    Follow the road past the caravan park (Hill Street) to the first graveyard behind Ouberg Hill where the first inhabitants of Driefontein, on which Middelburg was founded, lay buried.
    Phone: 049 842 2188
  • The steam roller was bought in 1938 to build streets and to prepare a few streets for tarring. A skillful operator would be able to operate this roller as it is in a perfect condition.
    Phone: 049 842 2188
  • The PW Vorster museum at the Grootfontein Agricultural Institute is housed in the original farm dwelling, erected in 1827. Collection consists of Anglo Boer War artifacts and ‘n Post War collection as well as a large collection of farm...
    Phone: 049 802 6600
  • Many old students know the Officer’s Mess, situated on the grounds of the Grootfontein College of Agriculture as a former hostel named House Karoo. The mess dates from the Anglo Boer War period (1903 – 1910) and was one of many...
    Phone: 049 802 6600
  • Grootfontein, once a former British Military Peace Camp, offers various historical sites to see. At the Grootfontein Agricultural Institute, you can still find some of their graveyards dating back to the British history of Grootfontein.
    Phone: 049 802 6600
  • Ds Dirk Postma founded this congregation at Grootfontein in 1860. The church building was finished in 1862, and is the oldest “Gereformeerde Kerk” building in South Africa. In 1979 is wat declared a national monument. The building is...
    Phone: 049 842 2188
Website Design, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by ZAWebs Designs | Web Hosting by ZAWebs Hosting