Haystead & Ford Building
Haystead & Ford Building

Haystead & Ford Building

About Haystead & Ford Building

Haystead & Ford Building ……………………… In Market Street, this building dates back to the early days of the century. This is one of the few buildings left from the old Middelburg, which was declared a national monument. - Market Street -


Market Square …………………………………… It all started here in 1852. Encircled by Murray, Market, van Reenen and Loop Streets, here on the Outspan, originated the Reformed Church (Gereformeerde Kerk), the Methodist Church and the Town Hall. Today, part of it is known as the Mayor’s Garden. Entrance to park: Municipality – Tel: 049 – 842 1104 - Meintjies Street -


Gereformeerde Kerk (Reformed Church) …….. Ds Dirk Postma founded this congregation at Grootfontein in 1860. In 1979 the building was declared a national monument. The inscription reads: “Hierdie kerkgebou wat in 1862 voltooi is na die stigting van die plaaslike gemeente deur Ds Dirk Postma op datum 1 Desember 1860, is die oudste bestaande Gereformeerde Kerkgebou in SA.” - Meintjies Street –


Burger Monument ………………………………. This graceful obelisk was erected in 1929 to honour the memory of 19 Burghers who fell during the Anglo Boer War. Can be seen in the Mayor’s Garden. - Mayor’s Garden, Meintjies Street -


Town Graveyards ……………………………….. Two, the old and new graveyards. Old: van Reenen StreetNew: Turn down in Church Street, follow the road around the old railway station building, and you’ll find it on your left hand side.


Graveyard of Farm Driefontein ……………….. Follow the road past the caravan park (Hill Street) to the first graveyard behind Ouberg Hill where the first inhabitants of Driefontein, on which Middelburg was founded, lay buried.


Warden House ………………………………….. The house of the warden at the first prison of Middelburg. Today, it houses the local tourism offices. - Meintjies Street -


 

Chair Monument ……………………………….. This monument at Ouberg Hill, just outside Middelburg on the Richmond road, marks the spot where two commandants, Lötter and Wolfaardt were executed, during the Anglo Boer War, in 1901. - Richmond Road (R398) -


Old Waterpump …………………………………. Queen Victoria gave this gift to the town in 1887 when she had reigned for 50 years. The Victoria- and Jubilee Streets have been named then. The water pump can be seen in the Mayor’s Garden. - Mayor’s Garden, Meintjies Street -


Middelburg 3 Memorial ………………………… Erected in memory of three Middelburg rebels who died during their rebellion against the re-location to a new township and housing scheme. - At the entrance of Kwanonzame township -


Steam Roller …………………………………….. This steamroller in the Mayor’s Garden, was bought in 1938 to build streets and to prepare a few streets for tarring. - Mayor’s Garden, Meintjies Street -

Wall of Remembrance …………………………. This graceful wall honours the momory of all who fell during the Anglo-Boer War, the Two World Wars and the Bush War in Namibia. - Mayor’s Garden, Meintjies Street -

Karel Theron Primary School …………………. The school, built in 1908, once was the biggest school in the Cape Province. It was named after Mr Kalie Theron who saw his school grow from a two-teacher primary school to a high school. For 35 years he was the principal. Declared a national monument in 1992. - Victoria Street –


Schoombeesklip ………………………………… This rock is the oldest landmark of the occupation by the first European inhabitants. This inscription reads: “Anno 170 ik ben die plaas heft aangeleyght A.G.S.B. uyt Denemark sprenghane als sant.”Andries Godliep Schoombee fled from Denmark after the supposed death of his brother whom he threw from the window of their double-storey house after a fight. For viewing: Contact: Tel – 049 84 21824

Contact Haystead & Ford Building

Landline: 049 842 1824
Website Design, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by ZAWebs Designs | Web Hosting by ZAWebs Hosting