Middelburg Karoo Eastern Cape South Africa

Welcome to Middelburg Karoo

Wide Open Spaces, Karoo Sunsets, Starry Nights, Fresh Air

Featured Listings (Click for More Info)

  • Sneeuberg Mountain Range
    The Sneeuberg range to the south of Middelburg, were a haven for the San where they hunted and gathered plants, bulbs and fruit for food much as prehistoric man did. During winter months, snow can be seen on the mountains, and the Lootsberg Pass becomes a spectacular winter landscape.
  • Hillston Farm Stay
    There is something magical about the vast semi-desert region known simply as the Karoo. At Hillston Farm you'll experience South African hospitality with a difference - farm style with a touch of class.
  • Haystead & Ford Building
    In Market Street, this building dates back to the early days of the century. This is one of the few buildings left from the old Middelburg, which was declared a national monument. - Market Street -
  • Middelburg Museum
    The Middelburg Museum was once the building were the Poor School was housed.
  • Old Waterpump
    Queen Victoria gave this gift to the town in 1887 when she had reigned for 50 years. The Victoria- and Jubilee Streets have been named then. The water pump can be seen in the Mayor’s Garden.
  • Gereformeerde Kerk (Reformed Church)
    Ds Dirk Postma founded this congregation at Grootfontein in 1860. The church building was finished in 1862, and is the oldest “Gereformeerde Kerk” building in South Africa. In 1979 is wat declared a national monument. The building is still in use to this day.
  • Chair Monument
    This monument at Ouberg Hill, just outside Middelburg on the Richmond road, marks the spot where two commandants, Lötter and Wolfaardt were executed, during the Anglo Boer War, in 1901.
  • Persies Grave
    Mr. & Mrs. Joubert lived in their small house opposite Dagbreek Hostel, next to Middelburg High School. They were already pensioners, and never had any children. They raised a Persie-lamb as if it was their child.
  • Burger Monument
    This graceful obelisk was erected in 1929 to honour the memory of 19 Burghers who fell during the Anglo Boer War. Can be seen in the Mayor’s Garden. Mayor’s Garden, Meintjies Street.
  • P W Vorster Museum
    The PW Vorster museum at the Grootfontein Agricultural Institute is housed in the original farm dwelling, erected in 1827. Collection consists of Anglo Boer War artifacts and ‘n Post War collection as well as a large collection of farm implements. The Van de Walt family collections are also housed here. On Grootfontein are several post war and farm cemeteries.
  • Karel Theron Primary School
    The school, built in 1908, once was the biggest school in the Cape Province. It was named after Mr Kalie Theron who saw his school grow from a two-teacher primary school to a high school. For 35 years he was the principal.
  • No. 6 on Church Self Catering
    No. 6 on Church is a cottage that was built in the mid-1800s, and in 2015 it was completely renovated to its current form as a self-catering unit. Where possible, the original woodwork was retained, giving rise to clean-cut modern accommodation with an old Karoo flavour.

find_accommodation_middelberg.jpg

Latest News

Website Design, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by ZAWebs Designs | Web Hosting by ZAWebs Hosting