History

  • More Info
    VCA Hall
    • Middelburg
    It was built as a home for Lord French, by Lord Kitchener’s Master builder during the 1899 – 1902 Anglo Boer War. When the war was drawing towards its end, many local residents felt that the ex-volunteers should be welcomed...
    • History
  • More Info
    Rock Art
    • Middelburg
    Rock art and fossils can be seen at some farm accommodation establishments in the area.
    • History
  • More Info
    Persies Grave
    • Middelburg
    Mr. & Mrs. Joubert lived in their small house opposite Dagbreek Hostel, next to Middelburg High School. They were already pensioners, and never had any children. They raised a Persie-lamb as if it was their child.
    • History
  • More Info
    The Middelburg Museum was once the building were the Poor School was housed.
    • History
    • 049 802 1330
    • 082 461 8008
  • More Info
    Grootfontein, once a former British Military Peace Camp, offers various historical sites to see. At the Grootfontein Agricultural Institute, you can still find some of their graveyards dating back to the British history of...
    • Historic Buildings & Architecture
    • Sightseeing
    • History
  • More Info
    The Sneeuberg range to the south of Middelburg, were a haven for the San where they hunted and gathered plants, bulbs and fruit for food much as prehistoric man did. During winter months, snow can be seen on the mountains, and...
    • History
  • More Info
    Market Square
    • Middelburg
    The market square was encircled by Murray-, Market-, Van Reenen- and Loop Streets. On the Outspan, originated the Dutch Reformed Church, Gereformeerde Kerk, Methodist Church and the Town Hall. Today, part of it is known as the...
    • History
    • 049 842 1104
  • More Info
    Anglican Church
    • Middelburg
    The St Barnabas Church, a historical building is still in use for weekly sermons. It is build with stone, and the original bell can still be viewed in the garden.
    • History
  • More Info
    Burger Monument
    • Middelburg
    This graceful obelisk was erected in 1929 to honour the memory of 19 Burghers who fell during the Anglo Boer War. Can be seen in the Mayor’s Garden. Mayor’s Garden, Meintjies Street.
    • History
    • 049 842 2188